Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Running 4 Research

Sunday morning saw the running of the Running 4 Research fun run at Brisbane’s Roma St Parklands.  For myself and many of my fellow training partners from DAT Racing it was a great opportunity to see how our training is going at this point of the season over either 10km, 5km or 1.5km. 

All in all it was a very good day for me!  I had planned on building into the run to make sure I finished stronger than what I started but after going through the first km in 3:08 and the second in 3:09 it would’ve been a very impressive effort to improve on this.  I had established a lead on the rest of the field almost immediately from the start and this worked to my advantage because I was determined to continue building on this and not even thinking about the possibility of getting caught.  I was hoping that I would have all the 5km runners to chase on the second lap because they were starting 15min after we had but with the turn around being before the start line, I reached the turn around as they were starting their race and went through the first 5km in 16:18.  I covered the next 5km in 16:31 and although it was a little bit slower than the first 5km I was more than happy to finish the race in a time of 32:49 and record a 10km PB and even better to be about a minute faster than what the coach was expecting. 

 

Congratulations must also go to second place getter, Matt Hopper who is still a more than competitive athlete and owner of the AvantiPlus Bike Shop in The Valley and third place getter and training partner, Brayden Tucker who will be heading over to America next week to race an ITU Continental Cup over there.  A big congratulations must also go to all the DAT Racing athletes that competed in the event with a special mention to Sarah, Emily, Bonnie, Courtney, Brittany and Holly who filled the top six spots in the women’s 5km event and also Josh Buerckner who won the 1.5km event in a thrilling sprint finish.

All in all it was a very successful outing for not only myself but all of the DAT Racing athletes and was a great opportunity to compete in a charity event with all money raised going towards the Royal Children’s Hospital Foundation.  And for anybody wanting to see the full results or read more about this fantastic fundraising event head to:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites